Wednesday, December 10

Time

As we enter the holiday season, I've been thinking a lot about time. So many things to do, not enough time. Scheduling all the get-togethers. Holiday concerts. Food preparation. Getting the shopping done... etc etc etc etc... you know what I mean! Christmas time always seems like a juggling act. The holiday season can be a most magnificent masquerade where people make everything look pretty and happy, but are miserable on the inside.

My dad recently was diagnosed cancer-free after a long chemo treatment for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. He is on the mend, but most importantly his immune system is back, so we can hug him. We take so many things for granted, until something happens to change your normal. I have a great relationship with my dad, and love him very much, and he knows that.

I'm aware that many relationships are broken, seemingly beyond repair, so I'm writing to encourage all my friends who are struggling with damaged relationships during the holidays. Maybe today is the day you forgive someone, even if it's only in your own heart. Maybe today is the day you make that call, and invite "them" to the family party, even though they probably won't come. Maybe today is your day to say you're sorry. Maybe your relationship is better now that it's over, but you still carry bitterness or anger--give yourself permission to forgive them and move on.

Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. Please don't miss a chance to make peace, offer a little grace, or plant a seed. Tell someone you love them. I know it's messy, and there might not be anything in return, but at least you tried. That will give you a little peace in your heart! Time is too precious. You go first.

No comments:

Post a Comment